T20 World Cup semifinal changed my career, says Nadine de Klerk

New Update
T20 World Cup semifinal changed my career, says Nadine de Klerk

Nadine de Klerk in action for South Africa. © Getty Images

South Africa allrounder Nadine de Klerk, who will be making her Women's Big Bash League debut this season for Brisbane Heat, said that the semifinal of the ICC Women's T20 World Cup 2020 in Australia played a crucial role in her life.

Coming into the XI for an ill Marizanne Kapp, de Klerk bowled a brilliant spell in which she took three wickets giving away just 19 runs. The right arm seamer caused a middle order collapse, when she dismissed Beth Mooney, Ashleigh Gardner and Rachael Haynes in quick succession. Though the result did not go South Africa's way, de Klerk believes that her performance in that game forced people to sit up and take note of her talent. Soon after the World Cup, she earned a national contract and was eventually signed by Brisbane Heat for WBBL06.

"I think it changed my career. That specific game changed a lot of things for me," de Klerk told brisbaneheat.com.au. "It's funny what one game can do to your career. Again, it just shows you only need one opportunity even though it is not going well, you just have to keep going, and somewhere along the line it's going to work out."

ALSO READ: Arundhati Reddy’s ‘Mission Undroppable’

Despite her promising performances, de Klerk said she did not expect a WBBL call-up this year. However, she is now thrilled at the chance to join the Brisbane-based club who previously hosted the South African duo of Laura Wolvaardt and Sune Luus two seasons ago.

"I think I said to someone I have been following the Heat for quite a while now. So when I got the call, I was quite excited and couldn't wait to get here," she added.

The 20-year-old is excited about getting back to cricket after a long break due to the COVID-19 pandemic. More importantly, she is thrilled to face her teammates from South Africa on the opposite side.

"It is really good especially from a cricketing point of view to get to the middle and get a bit of a hit. So, yeah, I am very happy to be here and to compete against some of my South African teammates."

The entire season of WBBL will be held across five venues in Sydney, with the players staying within a bio-secure bubble in Sydney Olympic Park. While she is aware of the restrictions that will be in place, the youngster said she was thrilled that she would get the chance to see and spend time with her friends from the other teams.

"It is good to be all together and have a bit of fun. You know, get all the teams together and do their own thing. Obviously, when it comes to the cricket part, just be as competitive as you can on the field," she concluded.
Subscribe