Sarah Glenn contracted COVID-19 in April after drunk man purposely ran into her

Sarah Glenn in action. © Getty Images

Sarah Glenn has revealed she had tested positive for COVID-19 in April, after a drunk man bumped into her purposely when she was out shopping.

“I had to get out of the house one day and we needed a food shop so I offered,” said Glenn, who will play the Women’s Big Bash League for the first time, in a chat with the Telegraph. “I came across this bloke who bumped into me and laughed. I think he was drunk. Me and the lady at the till were in shock.”

“I felt really uncomfortable. It was my first and only shopping experience in lockdown and it was awful. He bumped into me again, so I walked out. I came home so angry. I said to my parents, ‘If I get ill next week I’m going to be fuming’. And there I was next week in bed. It was not great.”

Glenn had returned to her parents’ home in Derbyshire after the T20 World Cup in Australia. She only left the house to walk the dog and shielded her family from the coronavirus by not letting them go out. But after the incident in the food shop, she had an antibody test which confirmed she had COVID-19. Thankfully, though, her parents tested negative.

ALSO READ: WBBL06: Everything you need to know about the squads

“It really opened my eyes and I start to get angry when young people say, ‘Oh we will be fine’. No. I’m a fit young athlete and I was a bit worried,” said the leg-spinner, who was adjudged the player of the series in the T20Is against West Indies.

“I had a couple of bad nights so I get annoyed by that. I did not realise how much it affected your lungs and it took me a long time to get over it.”

Glenn, who is in Adelaide in a two-week quarantine that’s set to end on Sunday, said that it was tough to be in isolation at the start but has eventually gotten used to what she called the “new normal”. She is set to play for Perth Scorchers in WBBL 06, alongside her England team-mate, Amy Jones.

“It’s not too bad. When the bloke helped me to the room with my stuff and said, ‘Right we will see you in two weeks’, the anxiety hit me. But I feel settled now. It is the new normal and I see it as a real positive,” concluded Glenn, who was using the time to study for her sports science degree and an exercise bike to keep fit.