A few days ago when Bangladesh announced the squad for the Commonwealth Games (CWG) Qualifiers in Malaysia starting on January 18, 2022, eyebrows were raised as Alam’s name appeared only in the reserves. According to the report on Cricbuzz, the 28-year-old has sent a letter to the board before the squad was announced.
Chowdhury has said that the board will look into the matter and the concerns which have been raised by the senior pacer. "Yes, we have received a letter from her (Jahanara) and will look into it and we will take required steps after taking everything into consideration. When a cricketer of Jahanara's stature tells us anything naturally it will be taken seriously and we will try to find out the truth about her observation," Chowdhury was quoted as saying.
The same report further stated that a BCB official alleged Alam was left out from the CWG qualifiers’ squad on behavioural grounds. The official also said that there were several instances of misbehaviour by the pacer during the Zimbabwe tour.
Bangladesh played three games against Zimbabwe and three in the Women’s Cricket World Cup Qualifiers. Alam’s performances weren’t bad, which was all the more reason to be surprised when she was not picked in the main squad for CWG Qualifiers.
ALSO READ: Nigar Sultana to lead 15-member Bangladesh squad in Commonwealth Games Qualifiers
Speaking about the letter, Alam has alleged in it that the national selector Manjurul Islam and a few select members of the team management are ‘biased.’ The letter also mentioned several instances which happened within the team, starting from the residential camp last year in Sylhet till the recent Zimbabwe tour.
On the other hand, the team management has said that there has been a divide within the players, with groups being formed, something which can be traced back to the fast-bowler. The management has also claimed that the senior bowler has not been supportive of the new captain Nigar Sultana.
The issues between Alam and the management seems to have come at a very wrong time with the CWG qualifiers starting later this month, followed by the World Cup in New Zealand in March, which is going to be Bangladesh’s maiden appearance.
Despite all that has happened, a BCB official has said that she remains an important member of Bangladesh’s plans. ''We have decided to exclude her as we wanted to give a message to everyone but this does not imply all is gone for her as she is very much in our World Cup plan,'' the official said.