BCCI office. © Getty Images

The fate of India’s tour to England in late August will be decided in the Board of Control for Cricket in India’s Apex Council meeting this Friday (July 17). The board will discuss the Future Tours Program for the men’s and women’s teams, while also finalising the standard operating procedures (SOP) for the resumption of cricket in the country. With the pandemic showing no signs of slowing down at the minute, several changes are expected.

With no clarity over the scheduling of the Indian Premier League, it is understood the the BCCI is looking at ways to cut costs. This could mean that the men’s India A setup is affected while domestic age-group cricket could also take a hit. At the minute, the BCCI are unwilling to tap into its reserves, The New Indian Express reported.

With regard to the resumption of domestic cricket, Sourav Ganguly, BCCI president, earlier admitted that it would be difficult to think of the season going ahead as usual until the situation in the country improves. The BCCI will discuss several options before taking a final call.

ALSO READ: Plans for tri-series progressing positively: ECB

The SOP for resumption of cricket are ready, but a formal approval of the council is required. Once given, it it will be easier to take a call on the feasibility of hosting domestic cricket.

Additionally, the BCCI will also have to inform the ICC of their desire that the 2021 Men’s T20 World Cup in India be hosted as originally planned. With the Men’s T20 World Cup 2020 to be held in Australia this October-November, likely to be postponed, it could have a knock-on effect on other global tournaments as well. This could mean India will have host global tournaments in 2022 and 2023 (Men’s 50-over World Cup) – something they are unwilling to do.

“India has the 2023 50-over World Cup to host as well. So if the ICC wants to push next year’s T20 WC in India to 2022, then there will be successive global events in India in 2022 and 2023. We don’t want back-to-back events. Moreover, the board also needs to decide the tax exemption impasse,” sources told The New Indian Express.

ALSO READ: India likely to tour England in August for tri-series

Meanwhile, the England and Wales Cricket Board earlier this week announced that plans were “progressing positively” for the tri-series.

“Chief amongst our priorities is to build on our commitment to support and grow women’s cricket and at the elite level discussions continue to progress to determine the best and safest way to host a tri-series against India and South Africa,” said Tom Harrison, ECB chief executive.

Once a decision is taken on the tri-series, BCCI will have to appoint a fresh selection committee, after the Hemlata Kala-led committee’s tenure ended in March.